Thursday 4 June 2015

Reflections While At the "Happiest Place on Earth"

With Minnie Mouse and Mickey Mouse.
Disneyland Resort Hong Kong. c. 2009
I recently visited Hong Kong Disneyland again. The first time I did, I was with my brothers. This time, I went with office mates.

Admittedly, I still felt extremely thrilled to be there, even though it had only been about a year ago since I had the most amazing time with my nephew and niece at Disney California Adventure. I can still feel the excitement of my nephew as we walked down Route 66 in Cars Land. I actually miss the semi-wild Radiator Spring Racers ride through the winding roads up the mountains, then through steep banks, and hairpin turns. And I clearly remember how my niece cried in fear while we were on one of the tractors at Mater's Junkyard Jamboree; I had to ask a Disney personnel to stop the ride so that we could get off. Ah, the things an "auntie spoiler" will do for a nephew/niece!

I have to mention that I miss the intertwining steel roller coasters of the Matterhorn Bobsleds! I think I better ride that again next time.

The weather was not very cooperative while we were in Hong Kong. The day we arrived (May 26), the former British colony had a torrential downpour, which was said to be its first black rainstorm signal of the year, and the highest of three storm signals. It was wet and humid while we were at Disneyland on the 27th, but the rain did not deter the children in all of us from having a ball at the happiest place on earth!

I allowed my inner child to have a blast! I rode Cinderella's carousel, the Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars, the water based It's a Small World ride, and Autopia, among others.  And I just had to watch the revue-style stage show "The Golden Mickeys", the 4-D film attraction Mickey's PhilharMagic, and the live stage musical Festival of the Lion King.

In between queuing, and resting (especially when it was drizzling), the images of the Disney princesses and their princes got me ruminating on the vibrancy of youth, the importance of courage, and the power of love. 

I mused about many things, but I'd mention a few of what I was reminded of upon seeing the images of my favorite Disney characters:


With my Mum.
Disneyland Park, Aneheim, CA
The Golden Rule

I'd like to quote a few lines from the song, Colors of the Wind from Pocahontas. 

"You think I'm an ignorant savage. And you've been (to) so many places, I guess it must be so. But still I cannot see if the savage one is me. How can there be so much that you don't know?

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you. But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew, you never knew..."

I actually have experienced being discriminated even on Philippine soil, more so abroad when I travel. But I do not like holding grudges against others. Meeting people from all walks of life taught me that we should not be afraid of people who are different from what we are. Our uniqueness and differences are what make us beautiful. Each of us were wonderfully and lovingly created by God, and for that we are all precious in His eyes.

I have learned to do my best to always look at the goodness in every person. "Life is short and we have never too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are travelling the dark journey with us. Oh be swift to love, make haste to be kind." (Henri Frederic Amiel) 



With my brothers.
Be Not Afraid

Courage is a usual theme in most Disney movies, (like Brave, Mulan, etc), but I am thinking about Tangled, which was loosely based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale, Rapunzel. (I am biased, because it is currently my favorite Disney animated film!) 

The heroine with the long, luscious golden hair reminds us to learn to face our fears head on. We encounter terrifying circumstances in life every now and then. But we should not let our fears paralyze us. It is alright to leave the tower and take the plunge. How do we realize our full potential if we do not first try to take the first step? Getting out of one's comfort zone leads to personal discovery, personal development, and growth. 

What of mistakes? We are reminded to never stop trying over and over again till we get it right. Never ever give up on anyone most especially. 

Also, carpe diem! Life surrounds us with miracles. Life is full of small precious moments. We only have to notice them.



With my sister and her family.
Disney California Adventure
Love, the Most Powerful Magic of All!

In Brave, it was emphasized that we ought to always appreciate, love and cherish our families. In The Princess and the Frog, to believe in the dreams of those dearest to us. In Beauty and the Beast, to never judge by appearances, and to accept people for who they really are. In Mulan, to have courage and fight for those who matter most to us. In Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, that love comes most unexpectedly. 

I'll digress a little and will quote Pope Francis, who said that "Real love is about loving and letting yourself be loved... Real love is being open to the love that comes to you. The love that surprises (you)..."

In Frozen, Olaf said that persons close to our hearts are worth melting for, and that love is putting the beloved's needs ahead of our own. In Hercules (another all-time favorite of mine), we are reminded that we must not be afraid to open ourselves to love because we are all worth it; for our hearts are made for love.

We love because God first loved us. (1John 4:19)

Frozen's Princess Anna and Queen Elsa.
Disneyland Resort, Hong Kong.


What other lessons have I been reminded of? 

Be true to myself. Listen to my heart. (I must say, to the heart of God.) Take courage and stand up for what I believe in. Fight for my dreams (so long as it is in conformity with the will of God). Let go of past mistakes and learn from them. Give second chances. Be open to other cultures. Never stop dreaming because with God everything is possible. Be child-like always. Appreciate the little things. Be kind and cheerful. Embrace change. True love waits.

In the end, I was reminded of another vital thing: to keep the Faith. To just BELIEVE. 

To believe not in fantasies and in make-believe, but in Almighty God, my Sweetest Father in heaven, who is the Great Author of Life (and the Author of my love story for that matter). I entrust my life and my heart into His loving hands to bless me with the one, true extravagant love He has in mind specially just for me. In His perfect time.

There goes my being a hopeful (never hopeless) romantic again! (I have whispered my heart's deepest longings to Him in between typing on the keyboard!) But I am sure, God my Father is grinning!

Ad majorem Dei gloriam!

No comments:

Post a Comment