Wednesday 29 October 2014

Do What You're Passionate About

In the morning when you wake up, have you ever felt like you wish you did not need to get up to go to work? And when you do get the courage to drag yourself out of bed, do you try to encourage yourself that you can make it through another day, after all, you'd survive?

I have felt that way in the past. There were days it felt like work was forced on me, but I had to do my best anyway because I was entrusted with something that needed to be accomplished. I did not want to disappoint anyone, especially myself. And besides, I didn't want the bills to start piling up. 

I have been working for almost two decades now. And I have had seven (7) different jobs so far. Looking back, I am grateful I got the opportunity to experience them all. I learned a lot along the way. Career-wise, I am sure the world will not applaud me. After all, in that long years in the work force, I am still far from being a board director or a CEO. Honestly, that has never been my goal. Power-driven people might express derision at my lack of drive for success, but that's not just the sort of "high" that will make me feel contented with life.

I have very recently left the corporate world. It was a long process of discernment. Although the path I have chosen may seem crazy and radical to most, I have no regrets. My Master was crazier and more radical Himself during His time here on earth. It is a road traveled by only a few. Speaking for myself, I am thankful for the privilege to have been called; and I am even more grateful for the grace to have been able to say yes to Him. I admit, I resisted for a few years. It was scary to leave my comfort zone. There was so much I had to give up. But I needed to take a leap of Faith; and when I did, He opened up doors for me beyond my wildest dreams.

Reflecting on the things I learned through the years as a "worker in His vineyard", I realized that although the monetary compensation is one of the factors a person considers before accepting a job, money is not the most important thing. In my experience, no matter how much money one earns, it can never compensate for the dread you'd feel when you don't love what you're doing. I have received unsolicited advice that finding a job that makes me happy is ridiculous if it doesn't buy all the things I want. I will not argue with that.  I know myself and don't need to satisfy all my whims to be happy. I prefer to simplify and live with joy. At the end of every working day, when work is not forced on you, there is more fulfillment. 

When you do what you are most passionate about, it becomes almost second nature to go above and beyond the call of duty. In the past, working late to finish a report felt like an obligation. It drained me of my energy. My stress levels peaked that resulted to sicknesses which were usually psychosomatic. These days, because I love what I am doing, I do not mind the extended hours. I have been sleep deprived lately, but it does not matter because I find satisfaction in what I am doing. Everyday, I love giving myself a pat on the back. Sometimes I wish I could stretch the hours longer so that I can do more. It amazes me that for every "yes" I say to God, He "expands my territory" and He makes me a step closer to fulfilling dreams I thought I'd never accomplish anymore. Cooperation with His grace, I learned, is needed if one wishes to run with endurance the race God has set before us. (Hebrews 12:1)

There are low moments of course. (The devil loves to torment all of God's children!) But again, when one trusts in the mercy and compassion of our ever loving Almighty God, then He shall be the source of sustenance and strength. 



I love the prayer for generosity of Saint Ignatius of Loyola. It has become one of my prayers, too. And how God has surpassed my expectations!

"Lord, teach me to be generous. Teach me to serve You as You deserve; to give and not to count the cost, to fight and not to heed the wounds, to toil and not to seek for rest, to labor and not to ask for reward, save that of knowing that I do Your will." (Saint Ignatius of Loyola)

No comments:

Post a Comment