Wednesday 15 October 2014

Of Rainbows, Cobblestones, and Saints


Everything passes... God alone suffices!
Saint Teresa's reminder on a wall at  Ávila
Nada de turbe, 
nada te espante 
todo se pasa,
Dios no se muda, 
la paciencia todo lo alcanza, quien a Dios tiene nada le falta 
sólo Dios basta! 
~Saint Teresa of Jesus


One of my most memorable pilgrimages was in 2011, on August 20th. I joined the Ministry of Youth Affairs of the Diocese of Cubao and was among the pilgrims to the XXVI World Youth Day held in Madrid, Spain. That Saturday morning was our "free time". The catechesis sessions and cultural programs ended the day before, and we were allowed to do as we pleased; but  of course we had to bear in mind that we were not there for pleasure. The only schedule ahead was the pilgrim walk to Cuatro Vientos for the vigil with the Pope, but it did not start until two in the afternoon. 

We opted to spend our morning at the UNESCO World Heritage City of Ávila, the walled town of Castilla y León. It was an hour and a half away from Madrid by train. On the way we were awed by the sites of the picturesque landscape, centuries-old stone ramparts, and views of turrets possibly of a medieval castle. It felt like a page from a fairy tale book coming alive before our eyes. 


Overlooking the charming town "outside the walls"
I did not have any expectations for that side-trip except that I wanted to learn more about Saint Teresa and her stunningly beautiful birthplace. But prior to that 3rd European sojourn, I came across a catechesis on the Doctors of the Church given by Pope Benedict XVI in one of his general audiences. The pope said that Saint Teresa lived on two principles: first, that everything in this world will one day pass away, and second, that God is eternal. Her poem Nada de Turbe sums it best: "Let nothing disturb you, Let nothing frighten you. All things are passing away; God never changes. Patience obtains all things. Whoever has God lacks nothing; God alone suffices."

Solo Dios basta! God alone suffices.pondered on these words and reflected on what very little knowledge I had about the life of Saint Teresa. I prayed for the grace to grow deeper in my relationship with God and go home with reinvigorated Faith. 

"Even the lowly sparrow finds a home for her brood,
and the swallow, a nest for herself
where she may lay her young..."
Saint Teresa Sanchez de Cepeda y Ahumada was born on March 28, 1515. She was raised by well-to-do, pious parents, and as a little girl learned to read pious books. She was however not immune to the lures of the world. She underwent a stage in her life when she became idle, vain, and cold in her devotion. She found herself not having pleasure in prayer, and was discouraged by periods of spiritual aridity. She confessed to being disobedient and ungrateful to God. Sincerely repenting after realizing her sins, she resolved to persevere in her zeal towards the path to virtue and perfection. She loved the Lord with all the strength of her heart until she attained the grace of  transverberation, or mystical union with God. Her incorruptible heart is preserved in a reliquary in a Carmelite convent in Alba de Tormes. She said she owed her conversion to Saint Joseph and the Blessed Virgin Mary. She is an inspiration we can all imitate in fighting the good fight till the end, with our eyes fixed on Jesus who is the author and perfecter of faith. 

Saint Teresa lived a life in evangelical poverty, detached from the possessions that the world offered her, and was concerned primarily with her personal relationship and friendship with the Lord, which she expressed in her service and unconditional love for the Church, the body of Christ. In her I find an example of someone who acknowledged her trust and total dependence on Divine Providence. She reminded me of the primacy of seeking first the kingdom of God over the pursuit of wealth, prestige and power. 


Plaza de Santa Teresa, and Gate Alcazar
It was overwhelming to be there, and I later realized it was a major turning point in my life. I was not prepared to hear what God wanted me to do next. I have been serving in Church ministries for several years and somehow, deep inside, I knew sooner or later God would uproot me and plant me in another soil where I can grow more and bear much fruit for His Kingdom. I was not just expecting it anytime sooner.

I had my own plans. I was pressuring myself to accomplish all that I had set in my timetable. I am not actually the success-driven type, but I had goals I wanted fulfilled soon! Prior to the trip, I was deliberating on whether I should go back to school, have a career change, or do something radical with my life. But the Lord had His way! With my consent of course. God, in His unfathomable and unconditional love for me, did not force me to agree with what He wanted for me. He allowed me to make my own choices, and waited patiently until I willingly embraced His plans for me. It was quite a long process of discernment, but I wouldn't want it any other way because of the invaluable lessons I learned.

We visited a museum that kept the reliquary of one of her fingers. Displayed there are some manuscripts, her rosary, a sole of her sandals, among other precious relics, including that of her friend and confessor, Saint John of the Cross. A few feet from the museum was the Baroque-style Convent of Saint Teresa, built on the site of her birthplace. I marveled at the magnificent sculptures and paintings inside. In great awe at the wondrous gifts from God who made everything I saw there possible, I spent time on my knees in prayer. Saint Teresa, through her writings, emphasized that we must persevere in prayer. "God withholds Himself from no one who perseveres. He will by little and little strengthen that soul, so that it may come forth victorious", she said. But other than the graces we receive, prayer is our means of communication with God. It is indeed a blessing to know that I shall never ever be alone because I have Jesus who is not only my Savior and King, but also my greatest Friend!


With some of the pilgrims from the Diocese of Cubao

As I explored the cobblestone streets of the quaint town where Saint Teresa once walked on, I expressed my fears and uncertainties to God. I knew that He always knows and understands my innermost being, my thoughts and my desires, more than I ever can. I felt so unworthy and told Him I didn't feel equipped. But God lovingly assured me that He is going to be in control. I only have to trust Him fully.

There are only two things, if I'd ever ask for a sign, that I request the Lord to give me should I need a reassurance : a shooting star or a rainbow. That day in Avila, as I begged God to guide me in the next steps I am going to take, I gazed towards the heavens in fervent supplication. Lo and behold, a rainbow! With tears of joy, all I could whisper to God was Thank You and I love You! 

I thanked Saint Teresa, who I knew interceded for me, too! I imagined her telling me, in her own words, "Trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. Be content knowing you are a child of God."

I couldn't ask for anything more!


My Avila Rainbow
"My heart leaps up when I behold a rainbow in the sky..."








No comments:

Post a Comment