Wednesday 21 January 2015

When God Makes A Way

Part 1 of My Reflections About My Tacloban Trip


Pope Francis' infectious smile!
Filipinos affectionately call him "Lolo Kiko"
(Grandpa Francis)
Photo credit : http://edition.cnn.com/
For several days now, I have been attempting to write about my trip to Tacloban City last January 17, 2015; a most blessed day when Pope Francis celebrated the Holy Mass with the survivors of typhoon Yolanda. It felt restrictive to have to write about a very profound experience in a limited number of words. I tried several times, but tears would flow first that I would end up not being able to organize my thoughts. I would get the mixed emotions of feeling so unworthy and yet also feeling so humbled by the fact (and blessing) that God made it possible for me to be physically there with the people of Leyte and Samar.

I was supposed to submit an article to be posted in the Diocese of Cubao's website. But I needed to stick to a 500-word piece, and not write in the first person. I tried several times, but was not making any progress. I told myself, if I am to process my experiences there, I needed to just let the thoughts and emotions flow.

My blog is the perfect avenue for that. I deemed it necessary to make my reflections in three parts, because even I get too overwhelmed. This is the first of three.

God called, I answered.

When I volunteered as a writer six months ago with the official #PapalVisitPH media team under the CBCP, all I wanted was to be able to use this talent that God gave me and use it for His greater glory. I do not have Journalism credentials to boast of. I do not have an exemplary writing style, nor do I have an extensive vocabulary. During the course of the preparations, I would often feel out of place when attending meetings, and so I silently asked God several times in prayer if I heard Him correctly when He told me to go where He leads. My fellow volunteers were mostly experts in their fields ~ trained and experienced writers and bloggers, professors, veteran news anchors, editors, graphic artists, professional photographers and videographers. 

I am a nobody. It was worse because somehow, that  was how I felt I was being treated: that I am a nobody who has nothing new or good to offer; that they are more deserving than I was because they know what they are doing; they are learned and more informed, and I was not. My feeling of unworthiness almost always brought me to tears; and the Holy Spirit would be my consoler. God tirelessly reassured me that He wanted me to accomplish something for Him, that I was where He wanted me to be; and I only had to trust Him. 

Papal Visit Assignments

As early as July 2014, we were given briefings as to what we will be doing as volunteers. (Sadly, I have to admit, the mainstream media does not always give an accurate and unbiased reporting. More often than not, the media is out there like a mighty predator ready to devour the Catholic Church once they see a flaw or weakness.) The mission of the Papal Visit PH Media was to give the Church's perspective of the things and events that will unfold in the course prior to, during, and even after the pontiff's apostolic and state visit. It is the successor of Peter we are talking about after all. One builds up members of his/her family, not put them down. That's what we were set out to do: build up the members of Holy Mother Church through another Petrine encounter after 20 years.

We were assigned to do research about the venues where papal events will be held. We were told of these places earlier, so we could prepare articles about them even before they were publicly announced. The Palo Cathedral and the Pope Francis Center for the Poor were the first of my assignments.

I wondered then, would I also be assigned to go to Leyte when Pope Francis comes?

We were told that if we wanted to be in the venues to cover the events, we would have to shoulder our own expenses. In my case, since I wanted to be in Palo, I was told that I had to pay for my own plane fare. I actually was praying for the Lord to make a way for me to be able to go back to Leyte, especially when Pope Francis visits. I was thinking, I could still use my ticket allocation. (I was with PAL for several years and still have free-ticket privileges) 

There were uncertainties. As a volunteer, I could not simply decide to go anywhere I pleased, because I would have to anticipate that there would be tasks assigned to me, or places and events that I would have to cover. And being an ex-airline reservations-sales employee, I knew that I won't be prioritized at the check-in counter if I were to use my ex-airline employee privileges. I could get bumped-off. Other than that, I was not sure if my schedule at work would allow me to travel.


The Special Philippine Airlines flight

Shepherd One in Tacloban airport
Some people I know tried to book their own flights to get to Tacloban to attend the papal Mass there, and to come back to Manila that same day. Initially, I, too, made plans with my family. We have relatives in Alang-alang and Palo. But the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines implemented a no-fly zone in the air spaces of Manila, Tacloban and Palo, especially while the pope was travelling en route to his destination. No commercial flights were allowed to depart and arrive in Tacloban on January 17, except for the papal and government chartered flights. That being the case, we would have to go to Leyte a day or two earlier, and come back to Manila on Sunday or later. We all finally decided that we'll just have to go there another time, that way we can attend the UST and Luneta events here in Manila.

Everyone knew that Philippine Airlines would officially take the pontiff to Tacloban, his plane dubbed as Shepherd One. But no one talked about a second plane, (at least none that I knew of nor heard), of which would fly to Tacloban some media personnel, and some prelates, among them, Archbishop John F. Du of Palo, and Archbishop Jose S. Palma of Cebu. I didn't know that either, not until I was inside the plane and saw them a few seats in front of me. I could not describe the humbling experience of being chosen to be in that flight.


With Ms. Anna Cosio and Mr. Raymond Bandril
of CBCP Media/ Areopagus
during our Mnl-Tac flight
That early morning of Saturday when I went to NAIA Terminal 3 to take the PR8191 scheduled to depart at 0600H, I was without sleep; not even a wink. I had ministry duties at my diocese and didn't want to disappoint the eager youth who wanted to volunteer at the Luneta Mass and the UST events. I prayed for strength and resolve to do what I must, remembering always that in all these things, I must decrease so that the Lord may increase. Unable to finish praying my rosary because I dozed off right before the plane even taxied on the runway, still God did not fail me. God is magnanimous that way, always looking past my sinfulness and shortcomings, and always exceeding my grandest dreams. He filled my being with strength, enough to sustain me until Monday when Pope Francis left for Rome. 

Arriving at the Daniel Z. Romualdez airport around 0715H that stormy Saturday, my heart had many expectations. Who wouldn't want to be near the Vicar of Christ? I wanted to be as close as I could get to Pope Francis myself as everyone else did. I even had a picture of my nephew and niece, and of my immediate family, inside my bag pocket, accompanied by a short note for the Holy Father, ready to be given to him just in case I got the chance. But I was also constantly reminded that there was a lesson to be learned; that more than getting the chance of being near the pope, I needed to re-encounter Jesus among the faithful gathered there. 


I don't keep e-ticket printouts 
and boarding passes
of flights I took in the past. But these 
I will definitely keep and treasure!
When I was told that I was chosen to be among those who will be officially sent to Palo as a volunteer writer, the news did not sink in right away. It did not sink in, not until I was actually there at the airport attending the Eucharistic celebration, in my own yellow slicker given by a volunteer, amongst the sea of people, mostly survivors of Haiyan. (Thank God for my very generous benefactor who even travelled with us!)

It felt surreal being there, being truly one with the people, drenched in bitter cold rain, struggling to stay upright during the Mass as blistering winds hit me like someone was shoving me from all sides. The gusts would momentarily disrupt the audio of the broadcast. From where I was, there were parts of the Mass that I could no longer hear because the 80 mph sustained winds of typhoon Amang (Mekkhala) howled louder than the sound coming from the speakers. 


God Sends His Angels

Several days prior to our flight, I got in touch with one of the monsignors who was a member of the committee for the Leyte papal events, to assist us in getting a car pass. Our team from the Diocese of Cubao Media and Communications ministry would be there, too. I was told we would be getting our car passes. But when we arrived in Tacloban, due to unforeseen circumstances, the driver of our rented van couldn't come pick us up. The van had to be parked a good distance from the airport. I was able to get in touch with the priest with whom I will be getting the car passes from, but then security did not allow me to leave the airport premises not until the pope was in the area where he will be celebrating Mass. 

Prayer was my only recourse. I asked God to send people who will help us. Again, God did not disappoint. I whispered a prayer of thanksgiving for His providence.


The God of Surprises

Being there with the survivors of typhoon Yolanda... to have the Holy Father in solidarity with all of us...  to be buffeted by strong winds alongside them... to cry with them during the Eucharistic celebration... I cannot actually find the perfect words to describe what I felt. But one thing I was very sure of: it was not an accident that I was there. God ordained it beforehand that I be on that very spot where I was, to re-encounter Him. It almost felt like being in two places at the same time: be physically standing there drenched in the rain, and basking in the warmth of God's love in His heavenly courts. I felt God embracing me. I felt Mother Mary there with me. 

I was overcome with joy because of God's unfailing love for me and for all of us; for He has seen our troubles and He cared about the anguish of our souls. (Ps 31:7) And Pope Francis was there to make God's love known!

And then it finally sank that that was where God wanted me to be at that very moment. He made things possible for me when things seemed impossible. In my life, the Good Lord has always surprised me with the most wondrous gifts. He has brought me to places beyond my imagination. He has always protected me, has been blessing me exceedingly, and has been enlarging my territory. (1 Chr 4:10). Being in Tacloban that blessed day, God has once again done far more abundantly for me, beyond what I asked for in prayer!

All glory, honor, and praise be unto Almighty God alone!










No comments:

Post a Comment